Queen Margaret's History
Queen Margaret’s celebrated 60 years on its current site at Escrick Park in September 2009, but between its foundation in 1901 and the move to Escrick in 1949 the school had three different homes. The school takes its name from Scotland's only female Saint, Queen Margaret, Queen of Scotland 1070-1093.
QM was established in Scarborough in 1901 by the Woodard Foundation, an organisation committed to the establishment of boarding schools where teaching would be firmly based on the Christian religion. Following evacuation to Pitlochry during the First World War, and then to Castle Howard during the Second, the school finally came to Escrick Park, six miles south of York, in 1949.
Previously, this magnificent country house, built with the assistance of John Carr in 1758 and set in almost seventy acres of beautiful parkland, had been a private residence. The Main Building retains the atmosphere of a spacious home and now accommodates both the impressive library and middle school boarding areas as well as the Headmaster’s Study, Staff Room and administrative offices.
In 1986, following an initiative by the parents and governors, the school was re-established under a new company, limited by guarantee and registered with the Charities Commission. At the same time the school became independent of the Woodard Foundation. Since then the school has enjoyed a period of dramatic expansion, investing almost £10 million in new and improved facilities and has gained a reputation for academic excellence.